Monday, August 29, 2016

Selenium – Essential for Thyroid Balance


Selenium – Essential for Thyroid Balance


Selenium is a mineral that has antioxidant properties and may help protect cells from damage. Selenium is a mineral found in the soil, however some regions have a very low levels of selenium in their soil, including the Northeast and Pacific Northwest.

Reduces Inflammation
Several research studies have demonstrated the benefits of selenium supplementation in treating autoimmune thyroid conditions. One study found that selenium supplementation had a significant impact on inflammatory activity in thyroid-specific autoimmune disease (Hashimoto’s). Reducing inflammation may limit damage to thyroid tissue.

Lowers TPO Thyroid Antibodies
Another study found that selenium supplementation reduced thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibody levels in the blood, even in patients with sufficient selenium levels. The positive effect was seen with a dose of 200 mcg. The 100 mcg dose did not have a significant effect.
Although it’s near impossible to know the level of selenium in the foods you are eating due to variations in the soil in may have grown in, it is still recommended to try to get your selenium from food sources.

Slashes Cancer Risk Significantly
In one study (JAMA, 1996), aging individuals supplementing with 200 mcg per day of selenium saw their risk of dying from all cancers slashed by 50%. Selenium insufficiencies are now known to increase risk of cancers of the bladder, lung, stomach, esophagus, and liver. A 2011 meta-analysis of nine randomized controlled clinical trials including 152,538 participants established that selenium supplementation cut risk for all cancers by 24%. The cancer-preventive effect rose to 36% in people with low baseline selenium levels.

Sources of selenium include: brazil nuts, cod, shrimp, tuna, halibut, salmon, scallops, chicken, eggs, shiitake mushrooms, crimini mushrooms, lamb, and turkey.
If you prefer to supplement to ensure your level is high enough to create a positive effect, I recommend Life Extension Super Selenium Complex, which has four different forms of selenium, totaling 200 micrograms. It also provides vitamin E, which works synergistically with selenium as an antioxidant. This dosage is enough to be therapeutic for treating selenium deficiency, but has a lower risk of causing overdose symptoms. This will ensure you are getting the proper amount on a consistent basis.

2 comments:

  1. I love your information about selenium and I plan to get some immediately. Back in 2009 a doctor gave me an antibiotic that I was allergic to and it triggered inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis. By the beginning of 2010 I was disabled because of the swelling to my hands and feet, etc. I beat it in 6 months with gradual diet changes from the research I did. I have been symptom free for 5 years and counting.
    I have been recently diagnosed with a thyroid nodule via an ultrasound because a blood test showed that my thyroid was over active. I do not want to get the test with iodine to prove this so I am not. I already supplement daily but I am going to add the selenium to my regimen.
    I don't know if my doctor will be happy with me or not but I really don't care. It is my body and I will do what is best for me. I plan on telling her I will see her in 4 months for another ultrasound.
    Keep putting the information out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete